I usually make these bad boys to go with some spaghetti or penne and my crockpot merlot marinara sauce(baked with whole milk mozzarella over the top), but they are really good to use as party appetizers as well! Quick and easy. Just how I like it. Well, for culinary adventures, that is This is what you’ll need:
•1lb ground meat (I usually use ground beef, but I have been known to use a mix of beef, veal, and pork, sometimes turkey, for the pseudo vegetarians)
•2 large eggs
•1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
•1 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
•1tsp each of the following spices:
• Italian seasoning
• Onion Salt
•1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1. In a food processor, add breadcrumbs and seasonings and pulse a few times to combine (or you could just whisk them in a bowl together.)
2. In a large bowl, knead the ground meat (I go bare handed on this. It’s the only way to ensure that everything is incorporated nicely) with the eggs until well combined.
3. Add breadcrumb mixture and knead until evenly distributed throughout the meat.
4. Using an ice cream scoop (I use the #50 Crate and Barrel scoop), scoop a ball of mixture and hand roll into little balls and place on wax paper.
5. Sear those suckers all around in a pan on medium high heat!! The #50 scoop makes mini meatballs, so they will cook faster. If you want larger meatballs, I would sear them and then bake in a sauce (or use a crockpot) to ensure thorough cooking and thus, less possibility of contracting a food borne illness. I, however, like my meatballs medium, which probably goes against standard procedure, but hey!! I’m eating them!!
6. Eat those little meat nuggets like its your job!! Or you could freeze them for a later date, for a quick weeknight dinner.